QuickBooks error 15106
You receive this error while updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release because of one of the following: QuickBooks error 15106–
- You have an antivirus application installed on your computer that’s blocking the update.
- You aren’t logged in as the administrator on the computer.
Follow the steps below so you can continue updating QuickBooks Desktop without any issues.
|Note: If you have an active QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription, download the latest tax table after every step to ensure your payroll information isn’t affected.|
But I already logged in as a different user.
Right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon, then select Run as Administrator. This will change your access to administrator.
|Note: If you don’t have an antivirus installed, skip to step 3.|
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab, then look for [ANTIVIRUS].exe. Example: Spy Sweeper.exe. Note: If you get an error, uninstall the antivirus application.
- Select End Process.
- Rename the QuickBooks update folder.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key+E to open File Explorer.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components. For 64-bit users, go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Right-click on the downloadqbXX folder, then select Rename. Note that XX stands for the year version of your QuickBooks. Example: downloadqb18 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Add .old to the end of the name. Example: downloadqbxx.old.
- Re-update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Windows 7 and 8: temporarily turn off UAC.
- Windows 10: proceed to step 4.
For more information, see Install or uninstall Desktop in Selective Startup.